Baby Briar's 1 Month Christmas Milestone Update and Photoshoot Tutorial

Briar is 1 month old!

Already the time has flown. It seems like just yesterday we took her home from the hospital and she became ours forever. Because it is now December, I did a Christmas milestone shoot with her. I did two versions, let me know which one is your favorite! But first, let's do a milestone update!

Briar has already proven to be a particular baby. She only likes her pacifier on her terms and hardly uses it. I'm not sure if it is the brand, but we'll try out different ones to see what she likes best!

Ironically she loves tummy time. We were forewarned that this isn't a fun activity for babies, so we studied up on how to make it more enjoyable for her. We found that doing this while she is laying on our stomachs and using the boppy while being right in front of her makes it a fun activity for her. In these positions, she is encouraged to raise her head to look at us, and she studies our faces the entire time. She has graduated from elevated on the boppy to being completely laid down on her stomach. She also turns her head to look around.

Briar loves eye contact. Surprisingly, she's able to focus on our faces really well and hardly crosses her eyes. So far she's only crossed her eyes twice. I also love staring into her eyes, it's been a great bonding experience.

I'm so sad to say that the newborn smell is officially gone. Her newborn smell is one I will never forget, I wish there was a way to bottle it up to smell it whenever. It's emotional for me because it means she's growing and so fast. So much happens in development just in the first month that makes it seem as though she's a completely different baby than the one we took home just a few short weeks ago.

Briar is a noisy baby! She squeals, squeaks, grunts, and groans. She also snores here and there and it's the cutest thing!

Briar also smiled at me for the first time while imitating facial expressions. It was so brief that I wish I had a camera ready to take a picture! But I will remember it forever, her big gummy smile.

She loves being kissed all over her face by me, but when daddy does it she's not a fan because of his facial hair! Haha!

Her hands are always in her face and in her mouth. This is not surprising as every ultrasound picture was a struggle to see her face! She always had her hands and even feet in front of her.

She loves lullabies but they actually keep her awake! What should be relaxing to get her to sleep is actually stimulating. She always has this facial expression of awe and she's absorbing every second. Now singing is for playtime.

She wasn't sure of her swing at first and would cry while in it, but we tried it again a few days ago and she loves it! She takes longer naps while in it, so that's been great for us.

She has deep blue eyes, and her hair color changes every day. She's bald-ish on top like an old man, and has a bald spot on the back of her head. She has a birthmark on her back and the back of her head.

Now onto the shoot!

Version 1:

Materials:
    -Plaid scarf (used as a swaddle)
    -Cardboard box with wood vinyl over it or wooden box if you have one
    -Fuzzy blanket to put inside of box and a little over the side
    -Custom or baby's first ornament
    -Christmas tree

How I did the shoot:
    I had the tree in the corner of our living room closest to our glass sliding door for the best lighting. I took these pictures in the morning where the lighting was soft and cool toned (for warmer photos shoot during the evening sunset). 
    I got a cardboard box and covered it in wood vinyl from the dollar tree. I then put a fuzzy blanket inside that covered the edges and filled the box to be nice and soft for Briar. I swaddled Briar into a green plaid scarf, put on a white bow, and placed her in the box directly under the Christmas tree. Before placing under the tree, I was sure to move branches upward so none would poke at her when placing her. I then moved branches as needed and placed her custom "baby's first Christmas" ornament I got from Etsy. 

Link to shop custom ornament:
https://www.etsy.com/listing/553540046/babys-first-christmas-ornament-2021?ref=yr_purchases


Version 2:



Materials:
-Boppy and blanket to cover it
-Letter board spelling "Dear Santa,  the cookies are for you but the milk is for me"
-Glass of milk and cookie
-Christmas tree

How I did the shoot:    
    Just like the first shoot, the placement of our Christmas tree was near our large glass sliding door. I did this shoot during "golden hour" but the lighting was not my favorite, but Briar was adorable and just that alone makes me love how this turned out! I was SO happy I got her adorable smile on camera as well!
    First, I placed a boppy at the base of our Christmas tree and covered it with a fuzzy blanket. I took our letter board and placed it on the side. I propped sleeping Briar onto the boppy, placed down a glass of milk, and put a cookie under her hand. 

Tips photographing a sleeping baby:
    -Set up right before baby's nap. 
    -While they're wake, feed/burp them, change their diaper, then put on their outfit.
    -Make it calm, have positive energy. Babies feed off you. If you are stressed, they will be.
    -Get a binky that matches what you are photographing. If they get fussy at a certain point don't be afraid to get a few pictures of them with a binky. 
    -Photograph on the ground on their level, try different angles, get close ups, don't be afraid to move around.
   

Which one is your favorite? Leave me a comment and let me know! 


I hope this inspires new parents to take pictures of your babies as they grow! Pictures serve an opportunity to relive a fleeting moment, and it's a way to keep them as they are forever to treasure.



Comments