Baby Briar's 12 Month Disney Milestone Shoot- Once Upon a Dream

Briar is 12 months old! WHAT?!

Briar has officially stepped into toddlerhood, which speaking of steps she took her first ones on Halloween! We have some exciting and bittersweet milestones for our update, which will be our last until 18 months now. It is a bittersweet chapter that has ended, but luckily I have captured so many memories to look back on whenever I am feeling especially sentimental. I have enjoyed every second of my sweet baby Briar, and am a little nervous but mostly excited for what toddlerhood brings. 



Here is her last baby milestone update:

👑Briar took her first steps on Halloween
👑She’s now standing on her own
👑She LOVES bear in the big blue house which makes me so happy because I grew up with that show
👑Briar does my nose scrunch
👑She moved on to sippy cups and phased into whole milk
👑Briar had her first Halloween, loves the songs thriller and monster mash
👑She had her first sugar rush that lasted all day from her cake smash (was bouncing up and down laughing in her bed when she was supposed to be napping and completely skipped her nap)
👑She’s putting things in baskets instead of just dumping them out and handing things to us
👑She loves her princess crown and fluffy blankets
👑She dances to music
👑She’s been doing “caveman” talk saying bunga (that’s her new favorite word)
👑Briar had her first build a bear experience for her birthday and did a great job participating in building her new bear “Berry” to commemorate her strawberry birthday 🍓

This milestone shoot I was really excited for and put in a ton of work doing some DIY's to bring my vision to life while on a budget. 

How I did the shoot:

Materials:
-Floral background (I DIY'd mine out of foam boards and coffee filters I made into flowers)
-Aurora crown (Mine is a DIY from glitter foam)
-Pink and Blue Tutu dresses with matching flower crowns
-Flora, Fauna, and Merryweather printouts or photoshop them in like I did

Links:
-https://www.amazon.com/shop/influencer-f3b5db03/list/28NPOAMONUFVD?linkCode=spc&tag=elizabethmo0f-20&domainId=influencer&asc_contentid=amzn1.ideas.28NPOAMONUFVD

Tutorial:
I have to warn that doing a DIY floral wall takes a lot of time. This took me 4 days straight to make. However, if you have the time, this is a very cost effective option for those on a budget like myself. To make the backdrop, I connected 6 foam boards from the dollar tree. I used white coffee filters and dipped the edges (don't separate the filters yet, dye them as a group) into a water/food coloring solution and left out to dry for 24 hrs. About half way through the dry time I separated the bunches so it would dry faster. Once they were dry I formed each filter into flowers, which you can find plenty of tutorials on youtube! I hot glued all of the flowers onto the foam boards. I then took gold glitter foam and cut it out in the shape of Aurora's crown. 

This was the most time-consuming photoshoot to set up, but the results are so worth it! Briar was a little tricky to photograph this time. She doesn't enjoy headband bows anymore, so this shoot required help from my parents. My dad distracted and got her attention while my mom was on bow duty. The trick was to keep her hands busy so holding the crown gave me enough time for more. 

Tips for photographing a baby/toddler:

-Set up the background first, THEN get them in their outfit and take pictures.
-Get help if you have access to it, one person for distracting and one for keeping props/bows right.
-Be patient and don't worry if you don't get the "perfect" shot. Work with the candids and don't stop photographing! You will get a good one!
-Get some hey bear playing or their favorite toy above the camera lens so they look at you.
-Prepare for chaos and know it will be crazy. Make it fun!

Comments